Your privacy and data
By Civil Service LGBT+ Network
- What information do we collect about you?
- How will we use the information about you?
- Membership of the Civil Service LGBT+ Network and opting out
- Access to your information and correction
- Other websites
- Changes to this policy
- Informing you of changes or issues
- How to contact us
The Civil Service LGBT+ Network is an volunteer-led employee network for the UK Civil Service; we follow Civil Service policies and procedures.
This policy explains how we use any personal information we collect about you when you use this website, register as a member of our network, or use our services.
What information do we collect about you?
When you register as a member of the Civil Service LGBT+ Network we collect some personal data about you. We may also collect this information when you register for our events or complete voluntary surveys. Website usage information is collected using cookies.
How will we use the information about you?
We collect information about you so that we can:
- send you tickets to events you register for, and keep you informed about changes to event details
- send you information we think might be of interest to you about LGBT+ issues in the Civil Service through our regular newsletter
- follow up with you when you submit information to consultations or similar activities
- understand who our members are so we can plan our work to be relevant to our membership
- improve our website and newsletters
So that we can provide you with services, we use your data when:
- you have given explicit consent: we sometimes explicitly ask you to give clear, explicit consent for us to use your personal data
- it is in our legitimate interests: we sometimes use your personal data when it is necessary to do so
In all cases, we use this data so that we can provide you with services or information that is relevant to you as an LGBT+ civil servant, ally or other person interested in our work, and inline with our constitution1.
Where we collect sensitive personal data, like information about your sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity or whether you have a disability, this is processed on the same basis2.
We will not share your personal information with other organisations for marketing purposes.
We use several third party services to store and use data you provide to us, so that we can provide our services to you. These include:
- MailChimp and GOV.UK Notify for bulk email
- Eventbrite for our events management
- Google Workspace for our email and office software
Membership of the Civil Service LGBT+ Network and opting out
By joining our newsletter, you become a member of the Civil Service LGBT+ Network. You can opt out of receiving our newsletter and related marketing communications at any time.
If you no longer want to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe.
Access to your information and correction
All our membership information is stored in our newsletter service, provided by MailChimp. To access the information we hold about you, click the “update preferences” link at the bottom of any of our newsletters sent to you.
Information you provide to us as part of registering for events is stored by Eventbrite. You can access data held by Eventbrite by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also contact us directly and we will provide you with the information we hold about you. It may take up to 30 days to process your request.
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information. This information is used to track visitor use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity.
For further information visit www.aboutcookies.org.
You can set your browser not to accept cookies and the above websites tell you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in a few cases, some of our website features may not function as a result.
Cookies that measure website use
We use Google Analytics to measure how you use the website so we can improve it based on user needs.
Google Analytics stores information about:
- how you got to the site
- the pages you visit on civilservice.lgbt and how long you spend on them
- what you click on while you’re visiting the site
Google Analytics sets the following cookies.
|_ga||To help us count how many people visit the website by tracking if you’ve visited before||2 years|
|_gid||To help us count how many people visit the website by tracking if you’ve visited before||24 hours|
|_gat||To help us count how many people visit the website by tracking if you’ve visited before||1 minute|
Set your preference for measurement cookies:
Strictly necessary cookies
You may see a banner when you visit civilservice.lgbt asking you to either accept or decline cookies. Once you’ve chosen, we’ll set a cookie so your device knows you’ve seen the banner and not to show it again as well as save your cookie setting.
These type of cookies always need to be on.
|cookie-policy||Saves your cookie consent settings||1 month|
Our website contains links to other websites. This policy only applies to this website and to the Civil Service LGBT+ Network, so when you link to other websites you should read their privacy policies.
Changes to this policy
We keep this policy under review. Any updates to this policy will be published on this website. This policy was last updated on 26 July 2021.
Informing you of changes or issues
If we make changes to the way we process your information, or we identify an issue with the way data is being managed, we will publish a notice on our website.
How to contact us
Please contact us if you have any questions about this policy or information we hold about you.