The Civil Service LGBT+ Network is run entirely by volunteers. It’s thanks to them that we can host our socials, run our conferences and keep the pressure on the Civil Service to do the right things for you.
We’ve published our business plan in May for the next 2 years. It sets out what we’re trying to achieve between now and December 2020. To deliver it, we’re going to need your help.
We’re looking for people who can spare a few hours every month to help us do our work. Below are some of the roles we are looking to fill.
Thank you to everyone who has expressed an interest in one of these roles so far. You should have now received invites to a call over the next 2 weeks to help us place you in a role, and get you started on some projects and tasks.
If you haven’t yet expressed an interest or didn’t receive the invite, and want to get involved, you can join these conference calls. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll send you the dial in details.
Conference call times
For blog editor and social media managers, the call is at 09:30am to 10:00am on 3 August 2018.
For governance leads, the call is from 09:30am to 10:00am on 2 August 2018.
For project leaders, we’ll hold two calls (you can dial in to either call for the same introduction). They will be at:
- 10:00am to 10:30am on 2 August 2018
- 10:00am to 10:30am on 3 August 2018
For regional organisers and social coordinators, we’ll hold to calls (you can dial in to either call for the same introduction). They will be at:
- 10:00am to 10:30am on 7 August 2018
- 10:30am to 11:00am on 10 August 2018
- Blog editor
- Governance lead
- Project leaders (multiple posts)
- Regional organisers (multiple posts)
- Social events coordinators (multiple posts)
- Social media manager
Are you good with words? We’re looking for someone who can manage the blog on our website.
You’ll be asked to produce or find blog posts each month on timely topics. That might be for an important date in the calendar — like LGBT History Month or Bi Visibility Day — or for a particular topic we want to highlight — like Pride.
Do minutes and constitutions excite you? We’re looking for someone to run our Steering Group and Heads of Networks Forum.
You’ll be asked to organise our major governance fora, ensure they are minuted, and follow up on any actions. You’ll also be responsible for keeping our constitution up to date and acting as returning officer for any elections.
Do you like delivering things? We’re looking for people who can be responsible for leading pieces of work. We’ll work with you to develop a plan for delivery and timeline, and then you just have to go and make it happen.
Some of the projects we want people to lead at the moment include:
- Developing a best practice toolkit for departments: you’ll create a toolkit that helps departments and agencies be inclusive employers, and help them demonstrate this in the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index
- Developing a toolkit for completing the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index: you’ll curate model answers for completing the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index, which departments can adapt for their own circumstances
- Establishing a mentoring programme: you’ll design and launch a national mentoring programme for LGBT+ civil servants
These are just some examples. We’re looking for people who can help us deliver all the projects explained in our business plan.
Do you want to organise things in your local area? We’re looking for people who want to run events or lead other activities in each region of the UK.
You’ll be asked to do some of the following:
- lead a Civil Service group at your local Pride, with help from us to advertise it
- deliver ad-hoc events using toolkits we provide
- help us with campaigns by doing simple things like tweeting and putting up posters in your local offices
We’re looking for more than one regional organiser in each area, so don’t worry; you won’t have to do all of those things yourself (unless you want to!).
Social events coordinators
Are you good with people and networking? We’re looking for people who want to organise local social events. We’re specifically looking for volunteers outside of London.
It’s a small ask: you just need to organise one event a month, and tell us where it will be so that we can advertise it. The events can be anything you like, from drinks at a local bar to coffee mornings and everything in between.
Social media manager
Do you know how to build a following? We’re looking for someone to manage our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.
You’ll be asked to keep our feeds filled with the things we’re doing, like highlighting our events or publicising our blog posts. You’ll also be asked to produce regular monitoring reports on our social media reach.