Applications for the Positive Action Pathway open soon
The Positive Action Pathway (PAP) is a cross-government programme for colleagues in under-represented groups. The programme is specifically open to LGBT+, BAME, women, and disabled colleagues of all ages from AA to grade 6.
The Positive Action Pathway (PAP) is a cross-government programme for colleagues in under-represented groups. The programme is specifically open to BAME, women, disabled and LGB&TI colleagues of all ages from AA to grade 6.
PAP is a formal learning programme that lasts around 12 months and consists of various development workshops, action learning sets and self-directed learning. The programme is designed to prepare people to move to the next grade or more stretching roles within the Civil Service. It aims to help:
- increase skills, knowledge and confidence
- develop confidence to overcome barriers
- compete on an equal footing for progression or places on Civil Service talent schemes.
CSL has recently undertaken a review of PAP, consulting with current and former participants, departments and networks, and made some changes to the programme. Key changes include:
- a simpler selection process that no longer uses online testing and incorporates the new CS behaviours
- introduction to the start of the programme is via a launch call for participants and managers
- changes to action learning sets to better support personal workplace development plans
- shorter, more focused regional celebration events to celebrate successful completion of the programme, network and hear leaders from across the Civil Service share their stories
- changes to the workshops to incorporate Success Profiles
- easy access to materials online to enable learners to download workbooks and access related learning.
The Positive Action Pathway will launch for grades HEO/SEO (Band B2) on 3 May 2019. The application window will close at 17:00 on 24 May 2019.
Further information on PAP, including guidance to help you decide if PAP is the right development programme for you, is available on the PAP pages on CSL and LPG.
Please note: The search function is currently unavailable on CSL so you will need to access PAP via the home page, click on ‘Talent & Development’ and then ‘Positive Action Pathway’.
The applicant guidance contains the information you need to help you to prepare your application, including a breakdown of the four behaviours you will be assessed on. You will be able to access the guidance from 12 April 2019 and even though you won’t be able to submit an application until 3 May 2019, you can use this time to prepare the evidence you need to support your examples.
The behaviours you will be assessed on are:
- leadership, changing & improving
- delivering at pace
- developing self and others
You will also be required to provide evidence of your motivation for applying to PAP and how you plan to commit to the 12 month programme. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline so please make the most of the additional preparation time available to you.
Your department will have a single point of contact that can provide you with further information on PAP and advise if your department is undertaking any additional development to support PAP participants.